Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Outraged Momma....

So tonight I'm outraged... I'm usually a level headed momma and Take things as they come and try not to freak out over little things.. but tonight.. I'm freaking out...

The BC government is cutting one of the most essential services that new momma's need. they are cutting off the home visits unless you are young and poor ... "Routine visits by public health nurses to new B.C. mothers will be cut back as part of an overhaul that aims to steer more nursing support to young, poor, first-time mothers through a program called Healthy Start." (Quoted from the Globe and Mail)

Apprently they found that for many of these women, they really don’t require a home visit, why because they have money.. arnt young.. thats dumb....

As A momma of 2 I can say.. I'm not young and I'm not poor but these 1st visits are so helpful especially the 1st time around.. if you dont have a mid wife when you leave the hospital.. that it.. your on your own.. no one is asking you how you feel EMOTIONALLY.. how breast feeding is going??

I so needed a home visit but mine never came...

I can say I had fairly bad postpartum depression with my 1st child... and maybe a visit from a nurse would have helped me see it sooner...
Luckily for me I had a supportive family and some great friends around me who help me see I needed to talk to my family doctor and she was able to send me in the right direction to get better ..
With my second child I had 6 weeks of visits with my mid wife... what I now tell everyone is .. GET A MIDWIFE !!! not only do they help deliver baby they are there for you !!!! My midwife was able to help me get past any fears I had.. rational or irrational...

I think that what the Government is doing is WRONG ... Whats next cutting off the recommend 24hr stay in hospitals after baby is born??

In a Province where getting in to see your family doctor is like winning the Lotto and when you do see your doctor you get in late and rushed through... How many more moms need to hurt them selves or their babies before they figure out cutting off this essential service is a bad idea...

And they have decided that Rather than an automatic home visit, new mothers are likely to receive a phone call and, if deemed necessary, a follow-up visit. The changes are likely to be phased in over several months, beginning next year.
A phone call??? Really ??? Come on... How many times have you answered the phone with a "I've been up for hours" or a "I've got a cold and cant come to work" , People lie on the phone daily... and do you know ?? no.. you cant see them...

And new moms are tired , its all NEW to them so they dont know if what they are doing is right.. I think giving breast feeding advice over the phone is idiotic.. how can you possibly know if baby is latched right , or if baby is tongue tied or if baby has other issues when you can't see what baby and momma are doing ...

I can relate to those who harm their kids.. I was .. am sleep deprived .. my kids have had months of crying all night long.. if I was alone even though Im 32 I would love to have a visit from a nurse to see and let me ask questions like.. Am I crazy ??? or mention I'm at the end of my rope... because I'm not young and poor I get left out of the loop... Thats wrong...
And I fear for all those who are not young and poor but 1st time momma's , those who might need a little help.. those who might harm their kids if the proper steps are sent out of wack...
Seriously..
This is not the way to save money...

I'm sending a letter to my local MLA.. and if you feel passionate about this issue to you should as well !!!! here is a link to find your local MLA ...

you can also join this face book page to help get your voice out there ...


Sorry to get all political but I really feel this issue needs a voice and I have a loud one......


Nov 16th 2011.. no response other than a... Your MLA is concerned with your issues we will get back to as soon as she can.....

1 comment:

  1. Mandy, I'm curious, have you had a response yet? I haven't heard anything yet. Last week I sent my letter to the premier, the minister, my MLA and the opposition MLA. I'm pretty disappointed to say the least.

    ReplyDelete