Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's done... It's done... Mr. K's memory baby blanket is done !!!!









So mrK is 2 and 1/2 and his memory baby blanket is finally done !!!!
Here's what I did....
Collected and saved my favorite baby clothing that I couldn't part with and kept it until I had about 35 squares worth.. so either 35 items or for the most part you can get about 2 squares out of each clothing item... my squares are 12X12 inches but you could make yours any size . Decide how large you want your quilt to be, with mine it ended up being just about a double size.... and if your more of a quilter than I am you could go "nuts" but I chose to stick with a basic patch work squares style quilt... so if you can sew a straight line then you could do this too...
then once your squares are cut out... lay them out on your floor.. to get your "pattern" of squares... try to space out "same colours" and patterns...
then once you have your layout done... sew each row together sides to sides... then once you have your top row done... sew the second row together.. sides to sides.. and then the third row.. and so on and so on.. once all your rows are sewn together... sew the rows to each other... top to bottom..
try your best to have the same amount of seam allowance for each seam.. then when you sew the rows together the corners will all line up and look perfect ...
For the back of mine I used two kinds of flannel ones a dino print and one is a solid blue... I also "framed" the patch quilt with the solid blue flannel ...and used a quilting batting to "stuff" the blanket ... another option for the "not so savvy " sewers ... use a "ready made" comforter or if your making a smaller blanket use one of their favorite blankets for the back or even a receiving blanket... or sew together a few receiving blankets for your backing ... or if you have enough squares you can make the whole thing out of squares...
I used an assortment of buttons at each corner to "tuft" the blanket you could "quilt" it too.. I just found the buttons looked cute and my son loves to point out the really big ones and the special shaped ones...
I washed all the fabrics before cutting and sewing to avoid shrinking... and when I do launder this special blanket I recommend a gentle cycle and hang or lay flat to dry....

other detail ideas .... I wanted to remember how little mr K was so I took my favorite sleeper and sewed it directly onto the blanket... I 1st sewed the sleeper flat... and sewed it up so it couldn't be opened... I also sewed in a favorite bib... and a couple of shirts I left the collars on them.... I love him in collared tops ..... and I sewed the sleeves into some of the squares... I loved the little flip ends :)
have fun with it... make it your own.. it can either hang on a wall or be used... my son loves to cuddle in his and drive his cars all over it :)

5 comments:

  1. gorgeous! i love the extra sleepsuit on top!
    i just cant bring myself to cut up anything, its all just taking over my flat now!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! It's on my list of things to do. I'm glad you kind of have some tips because A - I have no idea how to sew and hope my Grandma will help me. B- I'm so going to love this project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corinne... if you google "easy quilting tips" more come up and this may help you out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is adorable! As i was packing up some of daughters baby clothing to donate i was almost in tears thinking about having to part with some of them. Thanks for a great idea to help preserve some of my favorites without having boxes laying around lol

    ReplyDelete